Saturday 13 December 2014

All Layered Up

Busy as buggery recently. Exam season and writing test for my students takes up a shit-ton of time. Managed to get the first half of the Tac Squad's armour, including the 3 plasma carriers (Raphael, cannon and gun) finished though. Several layers to finally get what I wanted.
 I wanted the armour to (obv.) be dark green with lighter points of light without them ending up too light (DARK Angels after all) and without those yellowy green highlights I've seen about so much which make them look more like Salamanders than DAs. So, that meant Moot Green was not going to be used at all. After basing with Caliban and then washing them with Bieltan - I went for 4 layers of highlights, going from Caliban > Warpstone. I've gone for a (faux/pseudo/sorta) zenithal lighting approach. I've cheated at times but overall I wanted and reckon I've got the overhead light source the way I wanted.
I may put a few lighter spot highlights on the very apex of some edges (powerpacks, fingers, pauldrons etc) and then give them a really watered down green wash to bring it all together but haven't totally decided yet.
After the Caliban basecoat and Bieltan wash, the layer ratios from Clb>Wrp were 3:1, 2:1, 1:1, 1:2. Keeping Clb in the mix seems to keep any yellowiness in check.
Anyways - see what you think. Photos are a bit shite and really arent showing the top highlights well - ipad doesnt take the greatest of fig photos. Gonna need to dig out my proper camera at some point



I re-blacked the ribbing in the joint softspots (behind knees, inside elbows etc.) I'll highlight those later with dark grey. Some folk keep them green but done black they really make the armour plates pop a lot more)
Overall - really happy so far. Not bad for the first figs I've painted in 10 years ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

No comments:

Post a Comment